This is based on a recipe I found ages ago in a charity soup book – I tried it out as it seemed simple and quick to do… and from the first mouthful it was a winner!
The original had LOADS more cream cheese in – so this is a healthier version – and I think it actually tastes better this way. Yes, it looks like Shrek Swamp – but that’s going to make it a winner with Shrek fans of any age! It tastes much better than a swamp and you can make it spicier if you like just by adding more curry powder. Super tasty, super easy and super good for you – what’s not to love?
- 450 ml boiling Chicken or Vegetable stock (if using gluten free stock cubes then boil about 500ml water in a pan and add the chopped up cube to dissolve. By the time it is dissolved some of the water will have evaporated.)
- 450g Courgettes This could be 2 mega courgette or 3-4 smaller ones. Chop off the top and bottoms and wash.
- 1 tbsp Medium Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Cream Cheese
How to do it
- Roughly chop the courgettes into chunks (about 2cm cubes)
- Put 450 ml of boiling water in a saucepan.
- Chop up stock cube and put in the water – stir while it dissolves and the stock starts to simmer.
- Put the courgette into the boiling stock. Put the lid on and simmer for 5 -7 mins.
- Turn off the heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Blend in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- Return to the heat and stir in the curry powder.
- Stir through the cream cheese and serve straight away.
While you are getting this yummy goodness in you, you could enjoy coming up with new Shrek-related names for it or stories for when he might eat this!
(This is obviously an activity to do when eating this with or without children! 😉 )
I hope it goes down as well for you as it does in my house. Let me know…